Wtach is not detected via USB

Here you can report the issues you have had and how you solved them

Wtach is not detected via USB

Postby Gillu13 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Hello,

I browsed the forum but didn't find any post about an issue similar to mine.

I received my brand new Leikr watch today, I was pretty excited and wanted to register and confugure it right away. But when I plugged it to the USB port of my computer, it vibrated, the screen lighted up and the Leikr logo appeared. After that, dispite a charging battery bar in a corner, nothing happened on the computer... the watch was not detected by the computer.

My computer is running on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) and I figured it had something to do with it, so I tried on another computer of mine which has a Windows XP partition (I really don't like to boot on Windows but I was very much excited and wanted to use my new watch as soon as possible :) ) and guess what?? I did the same thing !.. This other computer, running on an other OS did not recognize the watch (even though the watch seemt to charge normaly) !..

I also tried on a more recent Ubuntu distribution (14.04 LTS) but nothing different happened.

Did someone ever experience something like this?.. How did you solve it ?

As a hint, it seems that the system doesn't even detect the watch, I tried to scan the USB buses by typing the lsusb command on the terminal and the watch did not appear (sometimes the system doesn't mount a device but it appears on a USB bus).

Thank you very much for your help!

Gilles
Gillu13

Re: Wtach is not detected via USB

Postby fdrake » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Hello,

my Leikr does work with Ubuntu (at least 14.04) for me - an icon appears and I can copy files onto it.

You could try to monitor the syslog while plugging in the watch on the command line, i.e. tail -f /var/log/syslog and then plug in the watch

It should say something like (among other things) "USB Mass Storage device detected" and lsusb gives me: Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0525:a4a5 Netchip Technology, Inc. Linux-USB File Storage Gadget
fdrake

Postby Gillu13 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:18 am

Hello Fdrake, thank you so much for your post.

As you suggested I looked at the syslog when I plugged my watch... unfortunately nothing appeared on the syslog ! :( I tried several USB ports on two computers : same thing. When I plug any other USB device (like a flash stick for e.g.) on any port of both computers, then something appears.

=> I assume my watch is defective ! :(.. I suppose I have to send it back to Leikr team so they replace it. I'm so disappointed.

Anyway, thank you very much for help !

Gilles
Gillu13

Postby Swanny » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Daft question but have you switched the watch fully rather than with just with the battery charging icon showing? Don't have mine at hand to check whether it makes a difference, just a vague recollection that it might. Otherwise try a different USB cable just in case especially if Windows is also affected (Linux user here too).
Swanny

Postby Gillu13 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Hello Swanny,

Thank you for your suggestions, nice try.. but it didn't work :(

I was kind of hoping that the solution is actually something as silly as turning the watch on before plugging.. but no.

I emailed the Leikr team in order to have their point of view. Still waiting for their answer. I'll let you know.

Thank you again!
Gillu13

Postby Szadzik » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:39 pm

I had a problem like that once and it was caused by the watch not being fully pushed into the docking station.
Szadzik

Postby Crames01 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I've had the same issue previously (even though the watch had been connecting via USB prior - it just stopped connecting one day)... Leikr Support suggested giving the watch a bit of a 'jiggle' to reestablish the connection (try gently pushing the gold connectors on the back of the watch against the gold connectors in the USB dock). Once I had done this, it reconnected and have not had an issue since!

Cheers :D
Crames01

Postby tsh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 pm

A possible problem (as I had occasionally when I first received my watch) is that the 4 contact pins in the backplate don't always make reliable connections with the solder pads inside the watch. Repeated gentle pressure on the front and back seemed to clear the problem.
tsh

Postby Gillu13 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:05 pm

First of all, I thank all of you for trying to help me.

Leikr team answered me that the reason of the problem of my watch is probably the issue you pointed out : the contact pins on the watch lost connection with the electronics below. They suggested I try to give the watch a bit of a "jiggle" as you said but unfortunately it did not work. Maybe I was too gentle but I was afraid of worsening the problem.

Eventually I sent it back for repair today.. Hopefully it'll be back soon so I can start using it!

thanks a lot to all of you guies!
Gillu13

Postby kowalreptail » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:18 pm

same issue here.
I just got my watch yesterday and it does not show up in my PC over USB.

jiggling does not seem to work and Leikr seems not to exist anymore.

what do you recommend?
kowalreptail

Return to Troubleshooting