Team Leikr -
having issues with the software update. After finally getting access to the server, I was able to download and install the firmware, and the device successfully returned to the home screen.
Unfortunately, I came to a full, dead, stop at that point.
I turned off the device to save battery power for a workout later in the day.
When I turned the device back on, it froze at the "squares in four corners" screen.
I used the four-button long, long, long, long, long press to get to the reset/reboot screen, and rebooted the device.
The device eventually rebooted and froze at the "squares in four corners" screen again.
I did this two more times, with the same results.
So I went for a run with the Endomondo app on my iPhone. It worked.
When I got home, I did a complete factory reset and put the device in the charging cradle.
I downloaded and re-installed my config file.
I turned the device off and on again, and attempted to sync it several times from the home screen. Every time = "unable to connect to the Leikr server"
I did another factory reset and re-installed my config file again.
I turned the device off and on again, and attempted to sync it several times from the home screen. Finally, after many attempts I was able to connect to the Leikr server. At that point, I got "device settings received from Leikr server," "uploading to Endomondo complete, "downloading Endomondo routes," etc, and a software update reset.
I then conducted a sync prior to shutting down the device again and got all my maps back.
This process is sub-optimal.