Uploading workouts where there is no Leikr supported WiFi

Uploading workouts where there is no Leikr supported WiFi

Postby stephenjherring » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi,

I have a problem that I cannot upload workouts at my work - but this is a more general problem when away from home.

1) It should be possible to upload workouts via the cradle.
2) It should be possible to upload workouts when there is WiFi for which you have access:
a) When SSID is not broadcast
b) When protocol is not WPA/WPA2
c) Where there is a hotspot login

At my work the WiFi does not broadcast SSID. I appreciate that it mentions on the WiFi FAQ that you do not support this, but I can't believe there is any technical reason ... my phone, ipad, laptop, etc all connect just fine - you just need to KNOW what the SSID is - which I do!

Also, when away from home generally in hotels / McDonalds etc, there is free/payg WiFi for which there is a hotspot login. Again fine for all my other devices.

However .... ALL of these problems would be best addressed if you could upload via the cradle - like Garmins for example. I mean, don't get me wrong - I appreciate the simplicity of WiFi upload when I'm at home - it's a great feature - but when I'm away from home I don't mind using the cradle with my laptop to do my uploads, especially as I will need to take the cradle with me anyhow to charge my Leikr!

Will you be adding any or all of these features to the firmware at some point? In particular I would imagine that the "not broadcasting SSID" must require very few changes.

Thanks,

Steve.
stephenjherring

Re: Uploading workouts where there is no Leikr supported WiF

Postby kennethbrun » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi Steve,

My guess is that this request will have low priority (other requests deserve my focus, if you ask me).

If you have a smartphone and 3/4G network (flat-rate?) subscription, you could consider to share your smart phones network via wifi (most smart phones can do this AFAIK). In this way you will always cary your own wifi, that can be used by the Leikr once you have it configured.

/Kenneth
kennethbrun

Re: Uploading workouts where there is no Leikr supported WiF

Postby Ashade » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:08 am

I agree. If you ask me, this should be a must, as well as being able to configure the watch with a standalone program.

What happens when you don't have access to Wi-Fi? What happens if in the future there's no more support and all the online uploading stops working because those web pages disappear?
Ashade

Return to Software releases